Thursday, January 27, 2011

Here's something I picked up years ago off Andrew Neale's mailing list - some of you who were around and buying records in the nineties might remember it. I've always liked the vocal, a you-done-me-wrong-but-I-still-love-you sort of thing with a jaunty organ line and some nice unpolished harmony vocals: I've always wondered who the two vocalists were.


The b-side is far better-known - it's King Tubby's groundbreaking organ-led dub of 'Beardman Ska' - it's credited to the Dynamites (essentially the same band as the Crystalites) and it's called 'Phantom'. Here's the original rhythm, enjoy:

2 comments:

the_voice_of_reason said...

"Beardman Ska" was the first Jamaican version of Ernie Freeman's 1959 instrumental "Live It Up", which you can locate on the "Original Jamaican Sound System Style" CD released back in 2003

the_voice_of_reason said...

I believe, although I'm not 100% sure, that the vocalists here are The Vibrators, possibly without their leader Linval "Al" Martin